Thursday, October 7, 2010

Native American Study

So as we finished our study on Native Americans I thought I'd share what we did and what resources we used.
Books we read:
A Picture Book of Sacagawea (note: found at Davis County Library)
The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush (Davis County Library)
Grandma Maxine Remembers (Davis County Library)
Seasons of the Circle (Davis County Library)
Native Americans: A Portrait : The Art and Travels of Charles Bird King, George Catlin, and Karl Bodmer (Davis County Library)
Spirit of the Harvest: North American Indian Cooking (Davis County Library)
More Than Moccasins (Davis County Library)
A Kids Guide to Native American History (Davis County Library)
Between Earth and Sky (Davis County Library)
Tools of Native Americans (I bought this book for myself as the library did not have it)
If You Lived with the Indians of the Northwest Coast (Davis County Library)
If You Lived with the Iroquois (I bought this one myself as the library did not have it)

I also used this blog for books and ideas.

We made longhouses, wigwams, Pueblo village, and tepees. We also made a vest, war bonnet, and a few other clothing pieces that are mentioned in the More than Moccasins book. We also painted a few pictures from the art book mentioned above. Also after reading The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush we painted a picture from that book. Nathan also made a diorama of an Iroquois Indian village. We also made several meals from the cookbook.

Overall the unit was fun and even I learned things I did not know. Sorry I don't have pictures as one of the kids deleted most of the pictures on the memory card.


No comments: