Friday, August 29, 2008

8/29/08

Frugal Tip Friday

Save a few dried beans each time you make dried beans in a glass jar. After awhile you'll have enough different dried beans to make your own 16 bean soup without the cost of buying the bag of 16 bean soup mix at the store. The bag at the store places a flavoring packet that's full of chemicals and preservatives, you can replic that flavor by using a ham hock. Get your ham hock by saving the bones from your ham or buy ham hocks at the butcher for cheap.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

I wish I could get my husband to eat beans.... He is more picky than my 2 year old!!

Sherri said...

Oh yeah -- I told Matt that Micayla and Nathan were going to date.... He plugged his years and said "Tell me about it in 11 years..."

Norah said...

I was the same way about 4 years ago. Then I found some recipes I could stomach and I've loved beans ever since.

LOL about the comment. My dh said basically the same thing.