Monday, January 19, 2009

01/19/2009

I thought I'd share a review of one of my favorite books. The book is The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss. I first discovered this book many years ago in fourth grade. I have always been an advanced reader and I remember our school librarian introducing me to this book. The book is not written for kids but it is an easy read. The story follows a couple through their struggles to have a baby. The first chapter deals with the heartache of not being able to have a baby. Keep in mind that this book is based the 40's, 50's, and 60's.
The couple ends up adopting the "perfect" baby according to adoption agencies. Helen decides she wants another baby and tries to adopt another. She is turned away from many agencies and told that she should consider herself lucky to have the one white baby she has. Other agencies tell her its too bad she is not another race or mixed race. She then decides she will adopt one of those babies that no one wanted but is turned down left and right. Finally she finds an agency that will allow her to adopt a baby of another race.
The story continues on with the twists and turns of raising their family and the eventual adoption of twelve children that nobody wanted. If your looking for a light and easy to read book this is a great book to consider. I promise you'll find yourself loving and rooting for this family over and over again. They did update the book a few years ago and it includes a forward with updates on the family members currently.

No comments: