Saturday, July 7, 2012

Favorite Fiction

A list of books we have read that have been well loved in this house.

The Great Brain Series I loved these books as a kid and I'm thrilled that my kids love these books now. It's small town life in the late 1800's in Utah. The story is told from the perspective of JD the younger brother of the great brain. These books are just a gold mine of fun for everyone. If you have never read these books I highly suggest you jump and get started on them today.

Fudge books No not the candy but a kid nicknamed Fudge. Again this was a series of books I loved as a kid and introduced to mine. And again it was a huge hit. Fudge is the younger brother of Peter and he wants to be just like Peter as much as Peter wants nothing to do with him. In the first book Fudge swallows Peter's pet turtle.

Ramona series Are you seeing the theme in these books? It appears my oldest prefers books that aren't fantasy and can really happen in real life. Again these were books I read and now my kids are reading. Ramona is the younger sister, again seeing a theme, of Beezus and makes Beezus's life hard because of her antics.

Judy Moody series I did not read these as a kid but for some reason they are a hit. My kids LOVED the movie about Judy Moody so reading these and liking them is really no surprise.

Stink series Judy Moody's brother. Need I say anymore.

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series I had never heard of this book until the librarian suggested them. These are not something that really happens in real life but they are so silly my kids love them. I've even found them to be very entertaining.

Henry Huggins series A boy and his dog. Why wouldn't three boys love these stories?

Flight of the Doves I was introduced to this book as a 3rd grader. I loved this book. I don't know why but it's a book I saved money for a bought a copy of my own as soon as I could. The story is about two kids running away from their step father to their mother's relatives in Wales. Their journey involves loads of people who help them and them running away from thugs their step father hired to bring them back. It's a cherished book from my childhood and one my kids liked too.

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase Another book from 3rd grade that I loved and still read to this day. This is sort of a dark story so if you have kids who are sensitive you may want to read it first to see if it will work for you.

Mr. Popper's Penguins We read this before the movie. My kids thought the book was much better than the movie. I agree. The book is just full of adventure from beginning to end.

Well there are a few of the books we have read and enjoyed. I hope I've introduced you to something you haven't read yet. I'm hoping to do a post on books we want to read this year.

No comments: