Thursday, July 19, 2012

Library Pockets

I love library pockets. I have bought a ton of these over the past year. They look like those old pockets in the back of library books in the 80's where a checkout card sat. Anyway here is just a few ways I use the pockets.

I write the days of the weeks on them and then we have a cards on a stick that say yesterday, today, and tomorrow. A great way to teach the days of the week and the concepts of yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Jeopardy game. Use the pockets to write the subjects and points and tuck in the questions into the pockets.

Tic Tac Toe game  
I used the game as a basis for trivia questions on things we have learned. You get the answer write you get to place a X or O.

Schedule. I list everything that the kids need to get done and stick them in a pocket. They move them to their done pocket when they finish them and I check on their work.

Use them for storage if you have file folder games with all those little pieces. You can fill the pockets up with all the little pieces.

I also use them for vocabulary word storage in science units. 

Learning place value in math. Make a pocket for ones, tens, hundreds, and thousands. Then use craft sticks for numbers up through 10. Then you can use them to learn place value.

Tracking for a reading reward. Combine the pockets with an old time library stamp card and you can track reading for rewards. 

I'm sure there are a million other ways to use these fun and cheap little things.

4 comments:

Lynette said...

Where can you buy them?? Your ideas are terrific!

Lynette said...

P.S. I pinned this post...Is that okay?? If you don't want it pinned, let me know and I'll delete the pin!

Norah said...

Utah Idaho School Supply has some. They have the cheap basic ones and some fancied up ones that cost a little more. Rainbow Resource catalog sells them too. Sometimes I can find them at the Dollar Store. Also there are templates on the internet for you to make your own. And yes feel free to pin anything you see on my blogs. I'll mention in the post if I don't want it pinned.

Lynette said...

Thank you, Norah! Your posts have been incredibly helpful and I appreciate it a lot. :) :)